Friday, July 9, 2010

Mogli the man cub









This one is for you mom. They mentioned a mural in the library when I first got here, but when I asked some of the staff they said no way, it would distract the kids. I was kind of relieved to hear that. Next thing I know the people who donated money to the library had given “specific instructions” to have a mural painted in the library and I was asked to do it. I started out with an illustration from “Oh the Places You’ll Go” by Dr Seuss and I ended up with this scene from the Jungle Book. I had to work during our breaks, late at night, and beg for the volunteer directors to let me paint. I will admit I was a bit discouraged about being asked to paint and then not being allowed time to do it. But in the end, with help from my dear friends Dani and Bailey, It was finished. The quote makes it a bit busy, but it’s a good quote. Be the change. Once you see you own the responsibility to do. Becky Douglass said that.

3 comments:

Tori said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been thinking about you painting this mural all week I have been thinking about how stressed you probably were over it about not liking it not having the time and how much easier it would have been if you wouldn't have agreed to do it You have left your art all over the world and this turned out great just like I knew it would When you are back in Eagle Mountain taking care of Spencer, your yard and Liz Lemon tree the kids in India will be looking at this mural

Erickson Family said...

McCall,
You are AMAZING!!! I love reading your blog and seeing all of the wonderful things you are doing. They are so lucky to have you. If you ever decide to teach any art classes out here let me know. Katie would love to take them :)

Sue said...

I can't wait to see all of the pictures of the mural! It turned out so cool. You are doubly gifted--first you are really an incredible artist and second you are so generous in sharing your talents with others. There is no burying your talents.