Saturday, July 10, 2010

The dedication






Today there was the dedication of the High School, volunteer house (that I am in right now) and the new dining hall. The students were so excited to see their parents! There was a big program with speakers and dancing. I was in charge of watching the UKG (Kindergarten) kids, which meant stopping fights, keeping them from running to sit with their parents (which I did not like at all) and handing them stars when they got up to sing. They have not seen their parents for a month or two. The parents were waving at them and calling their names. Since most of their families have been affected by leprosy they can’t ride buses so Rising Star picks them up in their vans from train stations, and villages. The students were smashed against the bar windows in their classrooms, climbing up them, looking for their parents. Parents brought home made food and treats for each one of their kids. They didn’t really care about the dedication ceremonies; they just wanted to spend time with their little ones. Watching the dancers that prepared for so long perform perfectly was amazing. I got to braid their hair this morning and help them get ready after one of the house moms helped me put on a sari. After the kids sang “ I’m a rising star” all the families went out into the mango grove, sat on mats and ate lunch. The Marriott catered lunch and they served Biriani with Raita sauce. MY FAVORITE. After photographing as many families as I could I sat down and ate with them. The Marriott donated $25,000 dollars today! It was one of those days where you feel like you are in a movie and a super cool song starts playing as the camera zooms into your smiling face.

1 comment:

Sue said...

This post made me cry when I thought what a sacrifice the parents make to send their children to school so they can have a better life. This also made me smile when I saw the picture of you--you honestly look like an exotic princess---better than Jasmine!