Monday, June 21, 2010

"Chase me Auntee!"


Imagine being greeted by what seems like hundreds of smiling faces, reaching hands, and trusting hearts. That’s how I felt today. We made it to the Rising Star Outreach campus today which includes school, room and board for children who have not had it easy in life. Some of them have parents who had been afflicted by leprosy and therefore are not accepted by some people here in India, some don’t have parents at all. I can’t believe how resilient they are! The journey to the center was a long, bumpy, cow infested, crowded road (minus the trip to Fabindia, mom I got you a beautiful Indian top), but it felt so good to get out of the city. Finally we are seeing the real beauty of India. Mango and coconut trees separate the earth from the sky. It feels like you are going to see a parade of Elephants marching by any second with Mogli on their back. But unfortunately, no elephants, not yet. I met up with my good friend Dani who has been here for a few months. She is one of those people you wish everyone was like. Always looking out for other people, and making people she meets feel so special and important. She helped me get where I am today. After we got here we ate a delicious Indian meal then we each chose a modest Indian outfit to wear around, and Dani put some sweet smelling strands jasmine in our hair. It is so humid and hot that our clothes are drenched within minutes. With the sweating profusely problem combined with using squatter toilets I don’t see a way to not get in better shape during my stay. We reached the school just as the children made their way to the freedom of play time. This involved answering their question of “what is your name”, telling them my husband’s name, pushing swings, chasing them, and creating mutiny with my “strawberry water”. I should have learned more from the movie The Gods must be crazy! I introduced the crystal light flavored water aka the “coke bottle” and the next thing I knew chaos ensued. “One more sip, one more, just one more!” Ten open mouths waiting for me to fill them with my Blender Bottle filled with crystal light. You can imagine the problem this began with only one Blender Bottle and many more mouths. I did what I could and I won’t do it again. We ate dinner on the roof and talked about our highs and lows while lighting that looked like Sanskrit writing flashed across a cloudy gray sky. After dinner Bailey and I headed to our “family” of children in a room with bright blue walls. We help them with homework and read to them before they go to bed . . . . Theoretically. They were wound up! Some of them showed us pictures of their families, some wanted us to read, some wanted us to sing. The, “If you give a mouse a cookie” books were really making sense today. I am teaching an art class to the children tomorrow, I can’t wait to see what they can create!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

McCall. What an amazing experience1 I can't wait to follow your experiences in India. You are such a fantastic writer to, you are amazing!! Be safe and kocham ciebie!

Doug said...

McCall as I read your note I had such a feeling of gratitude for you and Bailey. Thank you for making a difference in this world one small child at a time.... suffer the little children to come unto me...
We love you and Bailey with all our hearts!

Tori said...

Mc, It was so good to talk to you on Skype tonight and see your "jungle" I am excited about the murals, they will make those cute kids smile even when you are back in Eagle Mountain working in your yard!

Love you guys

Mom

Dani said...

I love the way you write. You are an inspiration to me. I am so lucky to be sharing this experience with you!