Sunday, May 16, 2010

INDIA




"In India, I found a race of mortals living upon the Earth, but not adhering to it, inhabiting cities, but not being fixed to them, possessing everything, but possessed by nothing"

Apollonius Tyanaeus quotes

I am getting ready for a trip to India with my sister in law. It was a fun idea a few weeks ago, now the visas are coming and we are well on our way. We are going with Rising Star Outreach, a group that supplies mobile medical clinics, micro business loans, and childhood education. They work allot with leprosy colonies near Chennai, India. I have been on a few humanitarian trips in my time, but this one will be completely different. The difference is not in the location, or what I will be doing, although it will all be new to me, the difference is my perspective about humanitarian work. I learned from my previous "humanitarian" trips, that the things I was doing, for the most part, the people I was helping could have done one hundred times better and faster, they just needed the supplies. The only thing I felt like I really contributed were some paintings I did in churches, day care centers, and on the sides of buildings. Realizing this, I have committed to dedicate my talents and time to this cause. I am still learning more about India and Rising Star Outreach and trying to prepare myself to be at my best when the temperatures soar into 110+ Fahrenheit. I will be leaving my husband behind. This may not be the best way to start out our second year of marriage but I figure that this can only make us stronger. I'm also leaving behind my summer break from teaching, my garden (which should be planted this week), a very worried mom, dad, grandparents, brothers, nieces and a nephew, phone calls, and to do lists. I added the phone calls and to do lists to make myself feel better about this. I am excited to go, dont get me wrong, but I know this will be no easy task. I have to prepare myself for it all. Good things may include smiles on peoples faces that were not there before, helping someone live a more comfortable life, blessings from elephants, stuff like that. I need to do more research before writing more.

1 comment:

Samantha Thayn said...

Oh McCall, you are so awesome. This is such a huge thing and I admire you so much for it. Can't wait for all your future Blog posts about it. Say hi to Spencer for me, I miss you guys and hope your 1st year has gone wondeful together! Loves :)