Friday, April 2, 2010

The time has come the Walrus said....



"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships and sealing wax
Of cabbages and kings
And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings."

Yes, the time has come for me to start writing and recording stuff in this Blog. Here is a quick update: I got married, bought a house, finished school in December (Brigham Young University, BA in Art education), got a job teaching art in a High School, own a lemon tree I keep in my kitchen, and just recently got mono, which is why I have time to write in my blog. I have a few of them, blogs. This one is for art and life, another one is for my students, artfoundationsi.blogspot.com, furthelove.blogspot.com was for my niece, and I think I have three more on top of those. It is nice to have a place to record my thoughts, and display things that make me happy about life. There might be times that I write about things that are important to me, but may not make me happy, who knows what the future will bring. I just read my little brothers blog and it was really inspiring. He is also a way better writer! I am 6 years older, that is about all I have on him.

a few experiences i have had recently

"living on the prairie"
Moving out into the west desert was not what I expected it to be at all. I expected an edward scissorhands community where all the houses looked the same, women didn't leave the house without hairspray, cactuses grew freely and baby owls peeked out of their safe abode, I expected allot of satellites which would contribute to empty streets and closed blinds. What I found was something different, something good and refreshing. People who live out here on the prairie are diverse, the houses do look similar but plants dont grow well enough to produce the lush green grasses in a scissorhandsish neighborhood, people dont stay inside they are out jogging and walking their dogs, I havent seen any owls but a huge eagle flies over our house occasionally. The sky is the reason I think most people live out here. At night it is hard to find a spot of the dark sky that doesn't embrace millions of blinking stars. I havent seen one cactus! There are a bunch of tumbleweeds and that still qualifies this place as the prairie. I love living out here. Sure it was convenient to ride my bike to the grocery store and school, but here I get to ride my bike for fun. I thought before I moved into this house that it would feel empty, without a soul. Instead it feels like this house has existed for hundreds of years just waiting for my husband and I to come. The black widows are an issue, but they are a small price to pay in order to live out amongst the voles and sleep under the watch of the stars.

mrs spain
That is what my students call me. I was able to get a job teaching in the middle of the school year, and the best part is that I only teach one class a day! Its a great segway into the realities of teaching. I have learned allot from my students. Art is a subject that allows any kind of discussion to take place. We just recently finished a doodle for google contest, the theme was, "If I could do anything, I would. . ." I was really surprised by the amount of students that could not think of anything, almost as if they have lost the ability to dream. Some of them seem like they cant function unless they are told what to do and exactly how to do it. A recent article by Olivia Gude discussed why art education is so important to democracy, here is a little taste of what she said,

"The artistically engaged individual couples intense awareness with a strong sense of agency, a belief that he or se can shape the world. As democratic citisens, we must believe that what we do afffects the world around us, that what we do makes a difference. Each autonomous individual with his or her capacity for seeing and for shaping, must be able to tolerate a sense of aloness, of isolation. . . the ability to sustain a sense of identity when not immersed in a collective. Lowenfield believed that harsh discipline and lack of opportunities for creative expression created individuals who would be susceptible to totalitarian control."

Maybe this is the reason they are having such a hard time, they havent had opportunities for creative expression and maybe they have lost themselves? Well, if they have, the art room is a great place for them to find themselves again, or at least get close to it.

The watercolor is by one of my new favorite artists, Stina Persson, and if I could buy this print I would in a heartbeat!






No comments: